- To act as a platform for free and open source geospatial teaching, learning and collaboration.
- To provide practical and hands on experience to the participants in the use of free and open source geospatial software.
- To enable participants to understand concepts of cartographic representation, spatial data integration, spatial analysis, designing spatial databases, web mapping, etc.
- To demonstrate the development of the key stages of a GIS project using free and open source software.
- To enable the participants to implement a full GIS stack with free and open source geospatial technologies.
- To develop expertise in multi-disciplinary theoretical and applied research using Open Source Geospatial technologies.
GENERAL OBJECTIVES OF THE SUMMER SCHOOL
- Provide a space for discovery and collaboration while training in new techniques and methods using free and open source GIS development tools.
- Increase the number of users and developers of FOSS for GIS.
- Discover and promote the creation free data.
The beneficiaries of the program are graduate and doctoral students coming from the partners members of the consortium. Students will complete the Summer School with a certificate of attendance and they can be credited with ECTS credit points.
It should be noted that apart from the direct beneficiaries, the program aims to have an impact beyond from the following:
– Transferable skills development in project management, team working, presentation skills, etc which will help the students in the development of their research and future career
– To enable participants to gain relevant skills to undertake open source geospatial research and development in collaboration with international partners to ensure world-class and globally relevant outcomes.
– Engage in outreach activities to ensure early and broad dissemination of results and encourage wide engagement between SS outcomes and community up-take.